Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Taking My Honda Motorcycle To Sturgis

I plan to take my new Honda motorcycle to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this year. The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is a motorcycle rally held every year in Sturgis, South Dakota.

The Sturgis Motorcycle rally was founded in 1938 by the Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club. This club still owns and still operates the tracks, the hillclimb and the field areas that the rally is concentrated around. The first Sturgis Motorcycle Rally lasted two days and was focused on racing and stunts. I can’t wait to take my new Honda motorcycle to this event.

The founder of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is generally considered to be Clarence Hoel, also known as Pappy. Pappy is still honored in a variety of ways by the crowd at Sturgis. I have a small area on my Honda motorcycle with a memorial to Clarence Hoel.

The main focus of a motorcycle rally has changed. The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was originally just for racing and for stunts. The rally includes a half mile track for racing. I can’t wait to drive on the course on my Honda motorcycle.

There are ramp jumps, but I think that I will stay away from those. I will also stay away from intentional head-on collisions with automobiles on my Honda motorcycle even though a lot of riders do it.

I’ve been reading a lot about The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. I’ve learned that it has been held every year, with exceptions during World War II. There has been a revitalization of sorts in the last few years in motorcycling. There is even a whole new group of fans that are interested in the old motorcycle rallies.

The newfound interest in the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has led to huge attendance numbers. In 2004, it was estimated that over a half of a million people showed up in South Dakota for the festivities. I can’t wait to be one of the masses at the next rally with my Honda motorcycle.

The Sturgis Motorcyle Rally is part of pop culture in America. In 1997, the crew from COPS and basketball’s Dennis Rodman attended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. There was also a time during the 1990’s that WCW wrestling held pay-per-view events from the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. I think that these events are distracting and not the reason I want to attend the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally with my new Honda motorcycle.

Every year, VH1 Classic has annual coverage of this festival. They like to include interviews and performances as well as feature rock videos. I’ve watched coverage of the Sturgis Motorcyle Rally before and I am going to try my level best to get on television with my new Honda motorcycle.

No comments: